Dig in to this flavour-packed chicken from Luke Hines’ latest cookbook, Eat Clean, out now for $39.99 (Plum). “I want to bring you the real flavours of Texas with this incredible tasting, easy-to-cook roast chicken,” says Luke.
texas roast chicken with creamy white coleslaw and sweet potato chips
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 x 1.5kg whole chicken
½ green cabbage, outer leaves removed, very finely sliced
1 large carrot, finely sliced
1–2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp sea salt
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Sweet potato chips
2 large sweet potatoes, skin on, cut into 5cm x 1cm pieces
80ml (⅓ cup) coconut oil, melted
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Get started by preheating the oven to 220°C and lightly greasing a roasting tin with coconut oil.
2. In a small bowl, mix the salt, paprika, maple syrup, chilli powder, garlic powder, cayenne and cumin with the coconut oil to create a delicious paste. Rub this all over the chicken, being sure to get into all the little tight spots.
3. Pierce one of the lemons several times with a sharp knife and stuff it inside the bird’s cavity. Squeeze the other lemon all over the chicken, then place the bird in the prepared roasting tin. Roast for
1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes, or until the juices run clear when a chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer.
4. While the chicken is cooking, make the slaw and chips. For the slaw, combine the cabbage and carrot in a bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix everything together well. Transfer to the refrigerator and leave to chill for 1 hour.
5. For the chips, place the sweet potato pieces on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with the coconut oil, season with a generous amount of salt and pepper and transfer to the oven with the chicken. Bake for 35–45 minutes, turning regularly, until golden and crunchy.
6. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven and cover it with foil. Leave it to rest for 20 minutes before carving it up and serving with the slaw and chips.