Makes about 50 pieces.
What you will need:
- 4 sheets rice paper
- 60g eggwhites
- 80g cocoa nibs
- 180g pistachios
- 180g whole almonds
- 200g dried cherries
- 500g sugar
- 190g glucose
- 130g water
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 290g honey
- 80g butter, soft
1. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tray. Place 2 sheets of rice paper side by side on the tray.
2. Place eggwhites into the bowl of a mixer with the whisk attachment. Combine the nibs, nuts and cherries in a stainless steel bowl and keep warm in the oven at 100°C.
3. Combine the sugar, glucose, water and vanilla bean seeds in a saucepan and set aside. Place the honey into a saucepan over medium heat and cook until the honey reaches 110°C. While the honey cooks, start the mixer on high speed to whisk the eggwhites.
4. When the honey reaches 120°C, take the saucepan off the heat. Increase the heat to high and place the reserved saucepan of the sugar and vanilla bean seeds mixture on to begin cooking. Pour the hot honey slowly into the whisking eggwhites.
5. When the sugar reaches 155°C, remove from the heat and pour it in a steady stream over the whisking egg whites. Continue whisking for 3 minutes.
6. Add the butter and continue mixing until smooth. Reduce the whisking speed to low. Remove the bowl of fruit and nuts from the oven and scrape into the nougat. Mix until just combined.
7. Scrape the nougat evenly onto the rice paper and press 2 more sheets of rice paper onto the surface. Allow to cool before cutting into 2cm square pieces with a hot knife.
Visit Black Star Pastry at 277 Australia Street, Newtown, NSW; or go to Black Star Pastry for more details.
Want more? Try these other delicious recipes:
>> coconut and white peach tart
>> recipes for a cafe-style brunch at home
>> dinner party recipes that will leave your guests wanting more